Monday, December 22, 2008

Moab Madness


 

 


In November I got to test some new ATV's in the Moab desert. Unfortunately,  I only got to ride/shoot for one day due to my teaching schedule, I could have spent a week there, it was one of the most insanely beautiful places I have ever been
This was also the first time I really had trouble with the limited dynamic range of digital capture.  I tried some "psuedo" HDR but I couldn't get them to look right.  The "recover" tool in Lightroom saved me.  There are times (and photographs) when you shouldn't be using a digital camera to do a film cameras job.  I wish I'd brought a Mamiya 7 along.
 
This is me.  It doesn't look too bad until you realize that the "hill" behind me is actually the level ground.  I'm basically driving straight up a wall, with all my cameras strapped to the front of the ATV.  Give it a little too much gas and we are both flipping ass over teacup down a cliff.  Having John Malley, one of the development riders from KTM,  along for the ride, gave me the confidence to try things that would have been insane on my own.


No comments: